Friday, March 19, 2010

Rib injury advice?

I really do not want to take the Vicodin I was prescribed, but I appear to have developed a cough.  Or, I had one and I didn't realize I had it until coughing became borderline excruciating.

They said not to wrap your ribs at the ER because it can cause pneumonia... but I wonder if that will make coughing hurt less.  If I just wrap them for a little while, take it off for a few hours and then re-wrap, will it still be an issue?

I'm just really starting to get frustrated with the pain.

And btw I don't want to take the Vicodin because I so seldom take pain killers of any kind, I don't know how my body will respond to them, and I am here alone with my two kids.

3 comments:

  1. I'm no doctor, so my only advice is to decide whether you trust the doctor you saw. If so, then I'd recommend listening to him, or if not, get a second opinion from someone you do trust.

    Other than that, I just hope you get well soon! I have injured my ribs and remember that it was a nagging, irritating episode. But it does get better... just takes some time.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, when I saw my doc about my ribs she prescribed tylenol 3s with codeine because the codeine reduces coughing. I was a mess that day because I had a cold/asthma attack thing going on plus the sternum/rib thing.

    Don't wrap your ribs, that can lead to nasty things like pneumonia. Instead find your favorite pillow and hold it against your ribs when you are coughing. It helps.

    Also, I found that wearing a stretchy/tight yoga jacket seemed to help a bit too.

    ReplyDelete