Thursday, February 2, 2012

We miss you already.

 We adopted our dog China.

She was an older dog when we got her, and she was abused and starved regularly.

I had a small baby, she was set her in ways, had a hard life and was part pit bull and I didn't think we could trust her.

We took her in because she so badly needed a good home, but she wasn't with out problems.  She was terrified of men, and had some food aggression because she had been starved on and off her entire life.. but she grew on me pretty quickly, and before I knew it, she became part of the family.

I think because of her hard life, she was so happy to finally be loved she returned our love 10 fold.  She was the happiest dog I've ever known, and acted like a puppy until her hips wouldn't let her jump any more.

When strangers came over, she always positioned herself between the kids and the people she didn't know.  I think she might even love my kids as much as I do.  She would have died to save them in a heart beat.

And until about a year ago when her arthritis started to set in China was my running partner.

She was the first dog I ever really loved.

Tuesday morning when I woke up, China was acting very strange.  Normally every morning China and Vader greet each other by barking and jumping all over each other like idiots.  But that morning China didn't stand up when Vader ran over to her.

When I finally got her on her feet she was very wobbly and weak.  I was hoping she was just having a bad day with her arthritis so I brought her inside, made a bed for her and let her relax, but the longer the day went on the more wobbly she got.  By Wednesday afternoon she could hardly stand or hold her head up, I had to hold it up for her so wouldn't drown when she tried to drink.  As it turns out, she had a stroke.

So, I talked to my good friend who is a vet.  She said she could come to my house and put her to sleep here so I didn't have to drag her out and she could go to sleep in peace at home.

Last night before the kids went to bed they said good bye to her.

I struggled with my decision to put her to sleep up until the very last second.  It wasn't until she was sedated that I realized just how much she had been suffering.  She laid down and looked peaceful for the first time since Tuesday morning, and finally stop struggling to hold her head up.

I burred her in the back yard under the shade of her favorite banana tree.  It looks dead right now, like it does every winter... but every spring it comes back, more bigger and more beautiful then the year before.  She always napped under that tree, and now she will rest there for ever.

I love you China, and I miss you already.

This was our Christmas card a few years ago. 


China's last day with us.  

13 comments:

  1. Oh Stephanie you made me cry. I am so sorry for your loss...;(( You should feel so proud you gave China a wonderful life for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dagney.

      I feel very blessed to have had her the years we did, and am happy that we got to be the ones who loved her.

      Delete
  2. We just had to do this in November with our twelve year old Weimaraner. She had cancer that we fought like hell, but in the end, it was like bailing out a boat with a measuring cup. We decided to let her go in peace.

    It's the right decision, but it doesn't make it any easier. Be proud that you were strong enough to do it for your friend.

    (Dammit, tearing up at work is NOT prescribed.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear about your doggie. =( It so hard to let them go.

      When China's arthritis started getting bad I promised myself I wouldn't drag out her life if she got to the point she was always in pain... I just thought I'd have had more time with her. The stroke kind of came out of no where.... As hard as it was, I am glad she didn't have to suffer long.

      Delete
  3. This post made me cry. China looks a lot like my dog Jay who I got last year after losing my best dog friend of 14 years, Teddy. I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you and China found each other. You gave her a good life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina... and I am really sorry to hear about your Teddy. =( We only had China for 6 years... I wish I had her for the beginning of her life too, but I am thankful to have her for the time I did.

      Delete
  4. I'm really sorry! :(

    We've adopted four dogs over the years, and have lost two. Most recently, about a year ago Duke (the best dog ever), to cancer. He was a 13 year old Great Dane/Boxer mutt.

    My youngest daughter, now three, still asks where he's at and how he's doing.

    Sorry for your family's loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. I am sorry to hear about your dog too. =(

      It so hard to lose pets, and its hard to watch you kids have to go through the same thing.

      Delete
  5. Oh God Steph... I am so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful mama dog you had. Just heartbreaking. So fortunate you saved her and made her last years so warm and loving! And I know she'll be watching over you all...

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Georgette! Last night Micah was worried that China would miss us too, but I told him that she would watch over him from heaven like she did when she was here with us. It was the only thing that cheered him up. Poor kids. =(

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry you've lost China. She sounds like a wonderful dog.

    I have a big, goofy, older dog who has hip dysplasia and I know that someday he'll be in so much pain that I'll have to put him down. I just hope it's many years in the future and I get more time with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. I too hope it is far far in the future for you. ((hugs))

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss. This was a beautiful post. She very clearly found her home with your family.

    ReplyDelete