Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hibiclense - For Ringworm and Staph

If you read my other blog, you may know that my son recently had impetigo which unfortunately ended up turning into a full blown staph infection.  Thankfully it is all cleared up.

One of the things his doctor suggested we do to help speed along his recovery is use Hibiclense.  It is an antiseptic, antimicrobial soap.  We used to every day for 5 days and before we were even on the 5th day his staph was all but cleared up.  Granted he was also on antibiotics, but I think it helped quiet a bit.

On top of that, we had a ringworm out break at our school, and while I was there last week, I passed on the word about Hibiclense, and one of the guys who had not been able to get his ring worm to clear up for over two weeks used it, and his ringworm was gone in three days.



According to the website it kills MRSA, Ringworm, Athletes Foot, Herpes, bacteria and other viruses.  It also says it kills germs on contact and bonds to the skin and continues to kill microorganisms for six hours.

I am going to stash a bottle in my gym bag to use after class.

It is pretty inexpensive considering the head ache it could save me.   It is about 7 bucks for a 4 oz bottle.

Here is their website.

Oh, and I almost forgot.  It will dry the crap out of your skin, so make sure to moisturize after you use it.  =)

6 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I think stuff like Hibiclense is good if you know you have something bad already on you. But I think using it regularly might be counterproductive. One of your body's best defenses against skin infection is the "nice" bacteria that usually lives on your skin. Using stuff like Hibiclense will kill off this good stuff.

    Plus there's the whole thing about introducing to many antibacterials into our environment, so that by the time we really need them (in a hospital), all the bad bugs like MRSA have evolved a resistance to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Hibiclense, too. My hair stylist's son wrestled, so when I started BJJ and was telling her about it, she immediately recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I currently only train once a week, so I don't think I'd be over using it, and as of right now, I just plan on using while we have the ring worm circulating. (However it seems to be clearing up in everyone who had it.. hopefully, it's gone)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @leslie - Awesome! Glad to hear of someone else with first hand experience with it. It seems like a really awesome product, I'm kind of shocked that no one seems to have heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this stuff, and call me twisted, but I LOVE the smell.

    I only use it when I find an open wound or serious mat/gi burn though. Other than that, I just use dial. Like Roger said, I'm itchy about the idea of creating any more super-bugs.

    That and wrestler's suspension foam have been my best friends since day...7 maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big fan of regular SOAP. I also agree that the anti-bacterial thing is way out of hand.

    I loves me some Dr Bronner's soap.

    ReplyDelete