Tuesday, February 8, 2011

How to cure Ringworm.

It was story time tonight at Fabio's.  I went to class, I was 99.99% sure I had ringworm, but I wanted Fabio to look at it.  He looked.  It is.  Boo.

Anyway, I didn't grapple, obviously.  Which prompted everyone to ask me why I wasn't grappling.  And of course once I said I had ringworm, they told me the best way to get rid of it.

Everyone had a different way, and I discovered something very disturbing.  Almost everyone does it wrong.

I have been told to scrub it raw, dump peroxide on it, then put on whatever various cream.

I've been told to use dandruff shampoo.

I've been told to use Neosporin.

I've been told to use Lamisil Ultra for two days.

And I've also been told to use tea tree oil.

I think the dandruff shampoo, tea tree oil, and any jock itch, or athlete's foot creams will work, but almost no one uses it for the correct amount of time, or washes their sheets.

I believe the correct way, based on what I've seen on several different websites that also coincides with what the more trusted sources have told me.


  • Wash the area twice daily.
  • Use paper towels and throw them away instead of a wash cloth.
  • Coat the infected area with Lamisil or any other over the counter athlete's foot creme twice daily after washing.
  • Keep it covered at night.
  • You can also mix tea tree oil with the Lamisil before you put it on your ringworm.
  • And you should continue to do this for 4-6 weeks even if it clears up in two days.
  • Use a fresh towel every time you shower.
  • Change your sheets regularly.
It may also be wise to disinfect your shower after you shower to prevent spreading it.



4 comments:

  1. I think you're right that most people don't know how to handle ringworm properly, which is why it ends up spreading like wildfire through gyms. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My doctor friend said: ANTIFUNGAL MEDS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Julia! Do you mean oral meds? I didn't realize there were oral OTC antifungals. I looked some up... Common ones include: Diflucan, Lamisil and Sporanox.

    I wonder if oral medications would work as quickly though? Or would you take them in-conjunction with topical creams?

    The only draw back I could see to using oral instead of topical would be you may not get the added bonus of itch relief you get from the cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks I will use this for good. But I tried to this and it wouldn't clear up ob two days do u think I should see my doctor eight away

    ReplyDelete