Thursday, September 24, 2009

It hurts so good...?

My entire left side is gimped. My shoulder, rib, knee, elbow and one of my toes are all jacked up. My snake bite is on my left hand too, but I can’t blame that one on Jiu-jitsu. It seems bizarre to me that I’ve injured myself more times in the past 5 weeks then I have in the past 5 years. I know exactly what is hurting me, yet I keep doing it…. happily. Quitting Jiu-jitsu hasn’t even crossed my mind. This morning when I thought my rib was broken I was thinking of ways I could still go to Naga… it seems wrong. Where is sense of self preservation? Lol

Anyway, my rib is just bruised. My doctor thinks it is just deep tissue damage, or possibly some stretched ligaments… I will take anything other than broken. He told me not to grapple for 10 days, and to let my body be my guide. So, I will attempt to not grapple. I think I am going to make myself wear jeans to Jiu-jitsu so I won’t be tempted. Though, I will still go… I always notice things when I watch other people grapple, and I still want to see what Mario/Fabio have to teach us... just because I can’t do doesn’t mean I can’t watch.

2 comments:

  1. LOL-- had the same experience TWICE with torn intracostals/cracked rib-type injuries... there's nothing you can do to stay off the mats right? Welcome to the club :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three weeks later, my side is finally starting to feel better. I am SURE it would have been fine two weeks ago if I had just laid off it... but that proved to be impossible. =) My instructors know I had an injury so they have been putting me with only higher belts who can control themselves enough to not put any pressure on my left side. However, my spastic lack of experience helped me zero in my road to recovery. My last two classes it didn't bother me much at all, so I think I will be good to go in another week or so... but until then, I am just going to keep icing it after every class.

    ReplyDelete