Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Things not to confuse.

As I mentioned before I'm working my guard passes.

A few weeks ago someone showed me two guard passes.  One where you come in tight, and one that requires you to sprawl on top of the legs to pass.

All last night I was sprawling when I should have been coming in tight.



.... Sadly, my mistake wasn't clear to me until I was in the car, and I was trying to walk my self mentally through the details trying to figure out where I went wrong.

It went something like this...

...break the legs..
...trap the leg....
....elbow to the mat..
...swim the opposite leg...
...come in close to blo....  Ooooooh!  STUPID!

Simply thinking about it, I remembered the correct steps, but for whatever reason my body was not remembering while I was actually grappling.

All was not lost though.

I did still manage to pass most of the time though... just in a really ugly, non-technical, me-smash-me-pass kind of way I am sure.

Which made me happy because I had a move .... that I saw on Youtube... (LOL) that I wanted to try.  Generally, when someone says to me..."Hey can I try this move I saw on youtube on you real quick..."  I go in to the situation very hesitantly.  I will say though, that the person on the youtube video is a legit source so I don't feel bad about it.

It starts out from the scarf hold ... 

Oh wait, I mean this:



I watched it a few times, thinking I would remember it correctly... but I didn't.  I totally left out a major step in the transition.  And I mean, MAJOR step.  Not one of those turn your foot in left or right kind of things.  I mean, like an entire step.  Scarf hold - Knee on belly - Fancy maneuver - Take the back.  ... I forgot the entire knee on belly step.

I kept ending up in a position I am sometimes in after failed armbar attempts.

Hot Garbage!

Next week though!  I am a woman on a mission.

3 comments:

  1. Argh I hate that! I do that ALL THE TIME. I learned ("learned") a nifty sweep at a seminar this weekend and tried to recreate it the next day at my academy-- forgot one crucial part-- and felt like I was retarded! Of course I didn't remember the key bit till I was showering at home hours later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me feel better that I am not the only one who 'learns' things. Generally, I am shown and then promptly forget all of the things I was shown. Then later I say, I learned how to do said move. I'll remember how it starts, and how it ends... but forget all those pesky details in the middle. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first scarf hold picture looks more like the way I do it! : )

    ReplyDelete